We are in the high spot of Irish travel so just a few quick tips to ease your way into the Irish ways, these Irish travel quick tips will be short and sweet. If any one has another tip, please add it to the comment section and pass it along. OK here are a few Irish travel tips.
- Chicken salad is chicken pieces on top of a mixed salad. In America we are used to chicken salad being chicken cubed or shredded mixed with mayo, celery, and placed between two pieces of bread. On my first trip to Ireland sitting in a takeaway I couldn’t figure out what to order so went with the always safe chicken salad, assumed I was getting a sandwich, my mistake, but tasty. Check out them spuds
- Taxis are either called to pick you up or you go to a taxi stand. You don’t typically wave down a taxi like you would in the states, in some of the bigger cities you can, but the usual custom is to get in line or cue at a taxi stand. The front taxi being the one you will use. Most pubs and hotels will call a taxi for you, just ask.
- Double check for traffic before crossing the street. People always are told about the difficulties of driving on the opposite side of the street, but we are so use to looking for oncoming traffic coming from a certain direction it takes a long time to look the correct way for oncoming traffic. So much so that in parts of Dublin you will see reminders written on the streets to “look this way for traffic”.
- A bathroom is a Toilet, or the Jax, . Irish word on door FIR for men, MNA for women. A bathroom is where you take a bath, the simplest for most of us is toilet although I always liked the informal term of bog.
- Pubs close earlier than night clubs. In many small villages the pub might close as early as 11:30 and on fri and sat 12:30. During the summer days where the sunlight last long into the night, you can show up at the pub just in time to watch it close, very sad.
Cheers, and please if you have a nice Irish travel tip, funny or interesting tid bit leave a comment,